Not sure if you need to remodel your home? Find out here!
Before you remodel your kitchen or bathroom, make a checklist of major and minor problems and keep notes of the features you dislike and like the most. This way, when it comes time to sit down with a qualified designer, they will know exactly how to suit your needs, taste, and style. Start off by thinking about the following important details in your kitchen and how you would like to either change or keep them in your remodeled room.
- Is there adequate space? Make sure you're satisfied with the amount of counter space, cabinet space, and floor space. The position of your refrigerator or shape of your counter may be taking away from an useful area.
- Are you happy with the traffic flow through your kitchen? If there's more than one cook in your household, you may want to consider making more room around the main work space. If you enjoy entertaining, you may want an open plan kitchen that allows for more social interaction between rooms other than the kitchen.
- Is your kitchen efficient? If your appliances are outdated, they may be costing you more money than you expect. New technological advances with dishwashers, disposals, and refrigerators can save you a considerable amount of money and may be worth the investment.
- Do you have children? Depending on whether or not you have children, and their ages, your kitchen may need to be remodeled. Outdated appliances and the set-up of your kitchen can be hazardous for young kids. If you are in the process of extending your family, you may even want more room for cooking larger meals, and lower cabinets for easier access to children's food.
- Do you like the location and design of your kitchen? Maybe you would like to add a deck on to the side of your house and would like to incorporate the door into the layout of your kitchen. You may want to re-arrange the position of windows to allow more or less sunlight or to watch your children play in the yard. Many people do not realize it is unsanitary to have a bathroom connected to the kitchen. If this is your layout, you may want to consider creating a hallway or different entrance to the bathroom.